I always experiment with the traditional recipes! Especially with the banoffee pie which is one of the first desserts I ever cooked!
Today I decided to give it a cooler and lighter twist adding only one extra ingredient, lime! It transforms completely the banoffee’s DNA offering a new dimension.
IngredientsFor pie base
- 1 package (250 g) of digestive cookies
- 50 g butter
- 50 g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 cans of condensed milk (dulce de leche)
- 100 g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Lime zest
- 500 g cream fresh
- 1 tbsp. caster sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 bananas, ripe
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Lime zest
- Boil the condensed milk for 3 hours until it turns to dulce de leche and then let it cool down
- In a food processor, pulse the digestive cookies until finely ground.
- Melt the butter in a deep pan over medium to low heat.
- When it has melted, add the ground cookies.
- Mix with a spatula to combine.
- When the mixture starts to resemble wet sand, remove from heat.
- Add 50 g of chocolate.
- Continue mixing away from heat until the chocolate melts and is distributed evenly in the mixture.
- Press mixture onto the bottom and sides of a round 26 cm spring form pan
- Use the bottom of the glass to press the mixture firmly onto the bottom and the sides of the pan.
- Refrigerate the pan so that the mixture can chill, for 15-20 minutes.
- Clean the deep pan and place over low heat.
- Add the condensed milk (dulce de leche) that should by now have a lovely caramel taste and color.
- Add the 100 g of chocolate and lime zest.
- Remove from heat and continue to stir until the mixture is completely combined.
- Remove the baking pan from the refrigerator.
- Add the caramel mixture over the pie base and refrigerate again for 2-3 hours, until it completely chills.
- Before serving, prepare the bananas.
- Slice them and toss them in the lemon juice so that they don’t turn brown.
- Beat the heavy cream with the caster sugar and vanilla extract, until it becomes whipped cream.
- Decorate the pie with the sliced bananas and top with whipped cream.
- Serve with lime zest