A different version for Italy’s favorite dessert.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 65 gr sugar
- 480 gr mascarpone cheese
- 130 gr chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 lemons, zest only
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream, cold
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powde, unsweetened
- 48 ladyfingers
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in a large metal mixing bowl, and set it over a pot of simmering water.
- Cook, whisking, until the mixture is pale, thick, and doubled in volume (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from the heat, and whisk in the mascarpone, melted chocolate, vanilla, and salt.
- Whip the cream until it holds stiff peaks. Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture. Set the filling aside.
- Whisk the hot water and cocoa together in a small bowl. One at a time, dip the ladyfingers into the cocoa mixture and place in a pan.
- Line the ladyfingers up in two straight rows of twelve.
- Spread half the filling over the ladyfingers, and repeat. Spread the rest of the filling on top and refrigerate until ready to serve.