The humble mung beans, with which the ancient Greeks were once making a kind of flour -they were also feeding their animals with them- are now considered to be a superfood, thanks to their richness in iron and protein. Today I use them to prepare a super summer salad with green vegetables.
Tip 1: You may cook a largest quantity and keep it up to a week in the fridge.
Tip 2: You do not need to soak them before or skim them off while cooking and they also get prepared quickly, in about 30 to 40 minutes.
- BULGUR SALAD WITH CHICKPEAS AND VEGETABLES
- FETA CHEESE AND POMEGRANATE POTATO SALAD
- GREEK SALAD WITH AVOCADO
- 1 cup of mung beans
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 spring onion
- 1 cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 2 baby zucchinis
- ½ of a green pepper, cut into cubes
- ½ of a lime (juice and zest)
- 30 ml olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 10 leaves of fresh spearmint, thinly sliced
- Add water to a pot and bring it to a boil.
- Add the mung beans and simmer about 30 to 40 minutes, until they have softened.
- Then, remove from the heat, strain the mung beans and allow them to reach room temperature.
- Thinly slice the cucumber and the zucchinis.
- Cut the avocado and the pepper into small cubes. Keep aside some slices of avocado for garnishing the plate.
- To prepare the vinaigrette, add all of the ingredients inside a jar, close it and shake until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Add all ingredients inside a large bowl and top with the vinaigrette.
- Finally, garnish with some avocado slices and leaves of spearmint.