I love salted caramel in all possible ways! Salted Caramel is my ultimate favorite fudge. I was going to make a simple caramel ice cream but then I though to myself why don’t I just add 1/2 teaspoon sea salt? The outcome was pretty addictive.
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 1/4 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- Heat 1 cup sugar in a skillet over medium heat, stirring with a spatula to heat sugar evenly, until it starts to melt, then stop stirring and cook, swirling skillet occasionally so sugar melts evenly, until it is dark amber.
- Add 1 1/4 cups cream (mixture will spatter) and cook, stirring, until all of caramel has dissolved. Transfer to a bowl and stir in sea salt and vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, bring milk, remaining cup cream, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar just to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring occasionally.
- Lightly whisk eggs in a medium bowl, then add half of hot milk mixture in a slow stream, whisking constantly. Pour back into saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Pour custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl, then stir in cooled caramel.
- Chill custard, stirring occasionally, until very cold, 3 to 6 hours. Freeze custard in ice cream maker (it will still be quite soft), then transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to firm up.