This time of the year that festive cooking begins is my absolute favorite! Not only because my house starts to smell like Christmas but also because the plates on my kitchen countertop are filledwith desserts making it look like a festive pastry shop.
The first dessert for this year was a XMAS version of a semolina halva, with cooked apples, cranberries and nutella on top!
- Two teacups semolina coarse
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 5 cups water
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup hazelnut praline
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon grated fresh cloves
- 5 small apples cut into quarters
- Boil water, sugar, honey, and spices for 2-3 minutes.
- Put the olive oil in a wide pot and heat it up
- Pour the semolina little by little, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Peel apples, cut into quarters and boil them in a large pan filled with water
- Add the cranberries in the semolina pot and continue stirring carefully.
- When semolina gets a dark, golden color pull the pot from the fire.
- Add the syrup and cook until absorbed.
- Add the cooked apples, stir and cover with a clean towel.
- After 30 minutes, put the halva into a cake tin and let it rest for at least two hours.
- Remove from the cake tin, garnish with praline and a few cranberries and serve.