Today I cook a very light vegan dish that is very nutritious. It combines chickpeas with spinach with an oriental background. It is very interesting that these recipes with an ethnic character have “conquered” the western world thanks to their high nutritional value. While their rich taste makes you “forget” that you need meat to be «full».
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 gr ginger, roughly chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon curry
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon hot chilli powder
- 400 gr boiled chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 100 gr spinach
- pinch of salt
- large slice of lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger and tomatoes to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Heat a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil oil in a pan on a medium heat.
- Meanwhile, crush the mustard seeds until fine.
- Fry the curry, cumin, coriander, turmeric, mustard seeds, and chilli powder for two minutes.
- Stir in the onion and tomato paste, and simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream and chickpeas and heat through for 3 minutes.
- Season with a pinch of salt and drizzle of lemon juice, then add the spinach.
- Cook through until the spinach has wilted.
- Serve with rice.