The very same dessert that the Americans and the Spanish-speaking peoples call it flan, we call it crème caramel. No matter what, it is a dessert with a long history the beginnings of which are tracked down to the pâtisserie française (no surprise).
Today, I give to the recipe a vegan dimension by using coconut cream, maple syrup and almond milk. The result is set to be a pleasant surprise thanks to the ingredients that make its taste even more special. They make it taste more fruity, fragrant and delicious than it does in the original recipe.
For the recipe you need muffin moulds. I myself use a silicone muffin tray that makes my life much easier. You may buy one of that kind in a kitchenware shop for about 7 euros.
IngredientsFor the caramel
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ½ of a cup water
- 480 ml coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200 ml maple syrup
- 240 ml almond milk
- 90 g corn flour
- For the caramel, add the sugar to a saucepan with the water and melt until golden brown.
- Pour a couple tablespoons of caramel into each mould.
- For the crème, add the coconut cream to a saucepan with the vanilla. Heat until simmering.
- Whisk together the almond milk, the corn flour and the maple syrup until smooth. Add the mix to the saucepan and mix until it is thick and creamy.
- Once thick, spoon the cream into your moulds and smooth them over.
- Cover them directly in cling film and place them into the fridge for at least 6 hours for the cream to set and for the caramel to melt.
- Carefully turn the crème caramel out of the moulds and serve with fresh mint.