This recipe for vegan cupcakes is perfect for breakfast or afternoon chocolate cravings. It can also be gluten free, if you use gluten free flour.
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 bananas
- 80 g tahini
- 80 g granulated sugar
- 50 g fresh orange juice
- 100 g gluten- free flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 packet vanilla powder
- 50 g dark chocolate couverture, finely chopped
- 50 g prunes chopped, optional
- 6 tablespoons of tahini cocoa spread
- Preheat oven to 180* C
- Combine the baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, chopped prunes, and finely chopped couverture in a bowl.
- Set aside until needed.
- In a mixer, beat the tahini, sugar and vanilla with the whisk attachment until the mixture becomes fluffy.
- Add the orange juice and beat a little longer.
- Mash the bananas with a fork. Do not mash them completely. There should be some small pieces left.
- Add the mashed bananas to the tahini mixture.
- Last, add the flour mixture.
- Beat just until the mixture becomes wet and combined. Do not overmix.
- Line a 6 cup large cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Divide the mixture among the cups (about 1 heaping tablespoon for each).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, at the most.
- When ready, remove from oven and allow to cool. You can serve them plain, dusted with caster sugar or with the tahini sauce.
- Decorate each cupcake with tahini cocoa spread (click here to get my recipe)