When somebody makes a reference to pita breads, our minds create an image far away from their super tasty vegeterian version. In this version, our beloved pita breads for suvlaki are baked in the oven and they get topped with basil pesto sauce, zucchinis, pine nuts and cheese! Slurp!
- 4 pita breads for suvlaki
- 4 tablespoons basil pesto sauce
- 3 baby zucchinis, thinly sliced
- 20 g pine nuts
- 50 g cheese (Parmesan cheese, gruyere or ladotyri from Mytilene)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the pita breads on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Top them with the pesto sauce.
- Then, add the zucchinis and the pine nuts.
- Bake for 5 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Remove the pita breads from the oven, top them with the cheese and put back the baking sheet to the oven.
- Bake for 3 more minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately.