5 secrets to the perfect orange pie recipe!
- All of the ingredients -especially the eggs and the yoghurt- have to be at room temperature.
- Filo dough has to be properly dried.
- Using two forks, work very carefully on the mix so filo dough pieces will not be attached with each other – attached together pieces will end up to lumps.
- When it comes to pour the syrup, the orange pie has to be hot and the syrup cold. Allow to absorb all syrup by pouring it little by little. Wait to absorb until you pour the rest.
- Never cut into pieces before all syrup is absorbed.
IngredientsFor the syrup
- 600 g sugar
- ½ of l water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 orange (juice and zest)
- 450 g filo dough for pastries
- 250 ml sunflower oil
- 250 g sugar (you may use brown sugar upon taste)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 150 g orange marmalade with peels and skin
- 5 eggs (beaten)
- 500 g yoghurt
- 200 ml clabber (or dairy cream)
- 20 g baking powder
InstructionsFor the syrup
- Always prepare the syrup at first place. It’s even better to have it prepared from the day before so it will be perfectly cold!
- Bring to the boil the water, the sugar and the cinnamon for 4 minutes. Then add the orange juice and the zest and allow the syrup to cool.
- Pour the cold syrup on top of the hot orange pie.
- Use a shallow baking pan 40x26 cm. Grease it with butter or oil.
- Preheat the oven broiler to 180°.
- Open and separate the filo dough.
- Lay it on a table and allow 30 minutes to dry.
- Using your hands, cut it to little pieces.
- Inside a large bowl, place the oil, the sugar, the vanilla, the zest, the orange marmalade, the eggs, the cream and the yoghurt.
- Using a whisk, beat all ingredients until they become a thick mush.
- Finally add the baking powder and stir the mix.
- One by one, properly soak the dried filo dough pieces to the mix. Take care so filo dough pieces will not be attached together.
- Keep on adding the pieces of filo dough one by one. Using your hands, check that no piece is attached with another so there will not be lumps of dough created (that will end up unbaked).
- Pour the mix to the baking pan you have prepared and bake for 30 minutes more or less, until the surface is stabilized and lightly brown.
- Remove the pie from the oven and while still hot pour on top of it the cold syrup.