I recently uploaded a post on instagram stories (check here) asking about the recipes you want to make and upload! And i realized that there are so many of us who make over and over again the traditional recipes of the Greek mother, but we are always looking for a new way to perfect them!
So, Helen asked me to share my recipe for burgers with potatoes in the oven! It’s based on my mothers recipe actually but with a twist (because we did not have sweet potatoes in Mytilene).
I know that a great percentage of us all, have changed the bread we traditionally put in burgers for oatmeal! I do this too, and i found a trick, so you do not understand the difference! Pass the oatmeal from the blender to make oat flour and give the texture of a galet.
The secret to making the burgers fluffy is in vegetables! Grated zucchini and potato make wonders in the burgers!
The secret to giving them extra flavor is to put a small piece of butter on top of each burgers, while they are baking!
Another secret is fat in meat! 100% lean meat will give you tough burgers without a rich flavor.
- 1 kilo beef mince
- 1 courgette grated
- 2 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tomato grated
- 1 pepper diced
- 1/2 potato grated
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 egg
- 1/2 fl. toast or oats
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 2 - 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- parsley finely chopped
- mint chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 ½ kg of potatoes
- 1 sweet potato cut into cubes
- 2 tomatoes on the grater
- 1 fl. extra virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest of 2 oranges
- 2 cup chicken broth (or one cube)
- salt and pepper
- Put the mince in a bowl and add the vegetables, the parsley the mint and the other ingredients. Mix very well.
- Lay the burgers and leave them in the fridge, until the potatoes are cooked.
- Season the potatoes in a pan and add the tomato, homemade broth, juice and zest from the oranges, olive oil and salt pepper. Mix gently and put in the oven at 180C.
- After 30 minutes add the sweet potato cut into cubes and then the burgers on top of it.
- Bake for another 40 minutes or until the burgers are ready.