There cannot be a New Year’s Day meal without a pie! Today I prepare a festive version of the mushroom pie by adding chestnuts – they fit perfectly with mushrooms and they give to the pie a festive touch!
- 12 thin filo pastry sheets
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic, thinly chopped
- 500 g mushrooms (any type you like)
- 150 g chestnuts, boiled
- 3 spring onions
- 3 tablespoons thinly cut herbs (oregano, spearmint, basil)
- 250 g feta cheese
- 250 g kefalotyri cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil for the pastry sheets
- Cut the onion into small cubes and the mushrooms and the spring onions into thin slices.
- Bring to heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil inside a large non-stick frying pan.
- At first place sauté the onion and the garlic and then add the mushrooms and the spring onions.
- Sauté until the vegetables have withered and they have become dry.
- Then, remove from the pan and transfer inside a large bowl.
- Add the cheeses (grated), the eggs, the chestnuts, the herbs, the paprika, salt and pepper and mix all ingredients together.
- Grease properly a baking pan.
- On the bottom of the pan place 2 thin filo pastry sheets crosswise and grease them properly with olive oil.
- On top of them, add 3-4 tablespoons from the mushrooms mix and then place 1 thin filo pastry sheet on top of the mix.
- Using a pastry brush, grease the thin filo pastry sheet and repeat the procedure until you are done with all of the thin filo pastry sheets and the mushrooms mix.
- Gently score the top surface of the pie, taking care so the knife does not reach the bottom of the pan. This will result in crispy and well-baked thin filo pastry sheets.
- Bake in properly preheated oven to 180°C for 45 minutes or until it has taken a golden brown colour.