Blueberries are these small fruits that though they are favoured in Europe, they are not so popular in Greece, no matter if there is a production in areas like Thessaly and Macedonia. Their peak season is the months of August and September, when they taste better than ever.
Their unique sweet subacid taste gives a unique taste to cakes, biscuits and tarts. They are also perfect for preparing jams or sauces. They constitute a dietary treasure that bulletproofs the immune system, prevents the infections and boosts the memory, something proved by research according to which a daily intake of 2 cups of blueberry juice is able to delay memory degeneration.
Tip: The ingredients mentioned in this recipe are enough for an oblong cake mould 10 x 18 cms.
- 75 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 100 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 80 g yoghurt
- 150 g self-rising flour
- 8 g baking powder
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 100 g blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Smoothly flour and grease an oblong cake pan of 10 x 18 cms. Alternatively, you may use a silicon mould.
- Add in a large bowl the butter and the sugar and beat with a hand mixer until the mixture is fluffy and has turned white.
- The more you beat the mixture the fluffier the cake will be.
- Add the eggs one by one, stirring properly after each egg addition in the mixture. Then add the yoghurt and stir the mixture again.
- Add the lemon zest and the blueberries and stir properly with a spatula.
- Sieve the flour and the baking powder and add them to the mixture
- From the moment and one you have added the flour to the mixture, try to stir the mixture as less as possible using only a spatula and not your hand mixture. Otherwise, the cake is not going to rise.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. If your oven is not that efficient, the final 10 minutes of baking time cover the cake’s surface with aluminium foil so that its heart will be baked without its top getting burnt.
- When the cake is baked, remove from the oven and allow time to get completely cooled down before unmoulding.