I have been searching for a recipe for vegan mayonnaise, that is relatively simple and always comes out right, for a long time.
The difficulty always lies in how you incorporate the oil into the base. It requires either a good food processor that has a special accessory to add the oil to the mayonnaise or the well-crafted arms.
I have the kitchen machine!
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) fresh juice from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) liquid from 1 can of chickpeas, plus 12 whole chickpeas
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine garlic, lemon juice, mustard, chickpea liquid, and chickpeas in a tall container just large enough to fit the head of an immersion blender.
- Blend at high speed until completely smooth.
- Alternatively, blend in the jar of a standard countertop blender.
- With the blender running, slowly drizzle in vegetable oil. A smooth, creamy emulsion should form.
- Using a rubber spatula, transfer to a bowl.
- Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mayonnaise will keep in a covered container in the fridge for up to 1 week.