You can be a vegan and never ever be missing the taste of cheese, indeed. There are a lot of vegan alternatives to the beloved dairy product, both at supermarkets and at your own kitchen. The ultimate vegan recipe that follows for a vegetable sauce with a taste that reminds this of parmesan cheese -thanks to the soaked cashews- is ideal for pasta, while the simple addition of sauté mushrooms upgrades the taste experience to the top.
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 500 ml soya or almond drink
- 100 g cashews, soaked for 4 hours
- 100 g potato, boiled
- 100 g sweet potato, boiled
- 50 g carrot, boiled
- ½ clove of garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 100 g sauté mushrooms (optionally)
- Put the cashews, the potato, the sweet potato and the carrot in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Warm the soya or almond drink.
- Put the olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Gradually stir in the flour, continuously stirring the mix with an egg-whisk.
- Gradually pour in the soya or almond drink and keep on continuously stirring the mix with an egg-whisk.
- Lower the heat and then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend the mix with an immersion blender until smooth and simmer it for 10 minutes.
- Serve on top of pasta and, optionally, add the sauté mushrooms for richer taste.