Today I am making the traditional recipe of gnocchi, but I use carrots instead of potato. The outcome is really fruity and the flavor is just AMAZING!
Just like most gnocchi, I prefer to saute them in a pan with some butter (and herbs if available) rather than boil them in water.
- 200 gr carrots
- 4 egg yolks
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 70 gr parmesan cheese, plus more for garnishing
- 380 gr all-purpose flour
- Bake carrots in the oven at 180C until tender.
- Transfer the carrots to a large bowl and mash until very smooth. You may use a food processor for this.
- Stir in the egg yolks, salt, pepper and parmesan.
- Add the flour and mix just until incorporated.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll a third of the carrot dough into a log about 2 cm thick. Cut the log into 2 cm pieces.
- Transfer the finished gnocchi to a floured baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- To cook the Gnocchi, you can either boil them or saute them in a pan. I prefer their flavor when sauted.
- One way is to bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and cook until they float to the surface, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain.
- The other way is to use a teaspoon of butter in a hot pan and saute them until crisp.
- Serve immediately with a spoon of basil pesto.