Once I got into the mood of taking care of my diet and to opt for foods that are good for my body, I developed healthier version of my favourite recipes.
So today, I prepare a semolina halva the traditional way. Though, I use the minimum of olive oil and coconut sugar!
- 2 cups of semolina
- ½ of a cup olive oil
- 2 cups of coconut sugar
- ½ of a cup bio honey
- 5 cups of honey
- ½ of a cup walnuts, coarsely smashed
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- Zest of 4 oranges
- 100 ml lemon curd (50 ml for the recipes and 50 ml for garnishing)
- Bring to a boil the water, the sugar, the honey, the cinnamon and the zest and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add to a large pot the olive oil and bring it to a heat.
- Gradually add the semolina, stirring with a wooden ladle.
- Add the walnuts and keep on stirring, watching out not to burn the mixture.
- Once the semolina has turned golden brown, remove the pot from the heat.
- Add the syrup and cook until it has absorbed.
- Add half of the lemon curd, stir and cover with a clean towel.
- After 10 minutes transfer the halva to a cake tin and let it set for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from the tin and serve.