I was recently on a table with journalists and they asked me what my favorite salad is. Many recipes I thought, but ultimately or traditional, classic Greek salad was the answer.
I told them of course that the greek salad – in all its variants – is my beloved, especially the greek salad with avocado.
To my surprise, they had not heard it before. They were in great surprise that such a “new” product of the market could be married with such a traditional recipe.That’s why I decided to share this recipe here.
Because that in my palate is something ordinary, but for many (new and old) friends it is something original and unprecedented.
- 350 gr cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 dried onion
- 5-6 barley rusks
- ½ cucumber
- ½ green pepper
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 handful baby arugula
- 3 tablespoon olive oil for rurks and extra for serving
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- 10-15 olive fillets
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 150 gr feta cheese
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- Cut pepper and cucumber into cubes and put them in a bowl.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in the middle and pour them into the bowl.
- Cut the onion into very thin slices, wash it in a little water, drain it well by hand and add it to the bowl with the other vegetables.
- In a salad bowl put the rusks and sprinkle with olive oil.
- Add the arugula and top with finely chopped vegetables.
- Then cut the avocado into cubes and sprinkle it with lemon juice.
- Add it to the salad bowl.
- Then add the olive oil, salt, pepper and stir with a spoon.
- Serve on a dish and pour over the olives, oregano, feta, caper and sprinkle with enough olive oil.