After my mother’s recipe for Easter cookies (find recipe here) I want to present you her recipe for Easter cakes. Traditionally, we make the cake on Holy Thursday.
- 1.400 g. hard flour for Easter cake, sifted
- 1 cup fresh milk
- 1½ cup buttermilk
- 2½ sachets of dry yeast
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 2½ cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon mahlepi powder
- 1 teaspoon kakoules (cardamom) powder
- zest from 2 oranges
- 50 g. almond for sprinkling
- Over low heat in a saucepan melt butter with sugar, stirring constantly to prevent sticking to the bottom of the saucepan. Remove saucepan from the heat.
- Add orange juice and eggs and mix well with whisk. Mixture's temperature should not exceed 35ºC.
- Put flour, yeast, mahlepi, kakoules and orange zest in the mixer and mix well.
- Add liquid ingedients and mix well for 8-10 minutes. If needed add some flour. Dough shouldn't stick on hands and must be fluffy and buttery.
- Make dough into ball, put it in a basin, cover it and let it 1-2 hours (depending on room temperature) to expand.
- After dough expands, we put it on the counter and knead lightly to deflate.
- Divide dough into three pieces and each of these pieces into three extra pieces. Knead three sticks and make a braid.
- Butter baking sheets put on the cakes and cover them with towels, so they won't dry.
- Leave enough distance between them because they inflate. Let them double their volume.
- Mix together egg, water and suger and soon as the cakes inflate spread this mixture. Spread shlightly shrinks cakes, so let them 10-15 minutes to inflate again.
- Sprinkle almonds.
- Τα ψήνουμε σε προθερμασμένο φούρνο στους 160°C, στον αέρα, και τα ψήνουμε για 45΄ μέχρι να ροδίσουν.
- Bake in preheated oven at 160ºC for 45 minutes until golden.