Baked giant beans with a wonderful, full flavor are officially the “main” course at the Clean Monday menu.
- 500 gr giant beans
- 2 dries onions, cut into thin slices
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 clove of celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 700 gr tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 bunch of parsley
- A little dill
- 1 cup water
- From the previous night we soak the giants in plenty of water to which we have dissolved the soda. If we have the certainty that the giants are boiling, then we omit the soda, and soak them in pure water for one night.
- The next day, rinse them well, put them in a pot of cold water, and boil them until they are softened (skimming them) for about 40 minutes.
- Drain them and put them in a 37 × 25 cm (or 35 cm round) baking pan.
- Heat half olive oil, in a deep pan, and on medium heat, put the onion, and leave it for about 10 minutes until it becomes transparent.
- Add the garlic, celery and carrot and continue saucing for 2-3 more minutes. They should not get color, just wither.
- Add the sugar, tomatoes, parsley and salt pepper.
- Boil for 10 minutes, and pour over the giant beans.
- Add the remaining olive oil as well as 1 cup of water.
- Bake on the resistors, in a preheated oven at 200 ° C, for about 45 minutes until they are left with their oil.
- If baking in air, put the baking tray in the middle grill, and set the oven to a lower temperature. Also, cover the baking sheet with foil, because the giants will dry out outside, before they soften into their interior.