You have learn about me from my most modern recipes, but in my heart I always love Greek traditional recipes. That’s why I try to always put them in the restaurant menus I do.
Elephant beans was my favorite food when i was a kid.The combination of them with a sausage turned the lunch into feast! The secret is to get beans that are “boil-able”. When buying beans we check how hard they are. Bite a bean and if it breaks in the mouth like candy in many dry pecies, then it means it is dehydrated, stale and will not boil easily. Normally it should be hard, but the heart still holds moisture.
Always cook in resistors! When cooking in the air cover the food with foil to prevent dehydration. Otherwise it will dry quickly and lose its liquid before cooking! If you need to add water, then add water that is boiling!
- 500 gr elephant beans
- a little baking soda (optional)
- 2 dry onions (cut into cubes)
- 4 cloves garlic (cut into thin slices)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 stalk celery (finely chopped)
- 1 carrot (cut into thin slices)
- 700 gr ripe tomatoes (finely chopped)
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1 cup water
- 3 sausages with leeks
- Put the beans in water the night before. If we have the confidence that the giants are going to boil ok, then omit the soda, and soak them in plain water for one night. If we think they need help softening, add a teaspoon of soda.
- The next morning, rinse them in plenty of running water, put them in a pot of cold water, and boil them until they are softened.
- At regular intervals remove the foam formed on the surface with a ladle driller.
- Boil for 40 minutes, drain, and put them in a pan.
- Heat half olive oil, on a non-stick pan, and on medium heat, saute the onion until it becomes transparent.
- Add the garlic, celery and carrot and continue sauteing for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes, parsley and salt pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Then, pour the beans with the sauce.
- Add the remaining olive oil as well as 1 cup of water. Bake on the resistors in a preheated oven at 200 °C for 45 minutes.
- In the last ten minutes add the sausages, whole or sliced and bake them with the giants.