A summer dish with elements of ratatouille and kayana (a traditional greek recipe for eggs in tomato sauce)! Summerish, fragrant, delicious, perfect to hang out one day with dinner on the terrace.
For a rather “professional flavor”, you can optionally peel tomatoes. To do this you will need to make a cross on the bottom of the tomatos and then immerse them in boiling water for 2 minutes. Then cool down and peel them.
- 2 eggplants cut into slices 1/2 cm
- 800 gr tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme finely chopped
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 20 gr olives (optional)
- 150 gr feta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 60 ml olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cut eggplants into 1/2 cm slices and spread them into a large baking pan.
- Drizzle them with 20 ml of olive oil and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Chop the onion in small cubes and the garlic in thin slices.
- Put the olive oil on a large, non-stick pan and sauté onion with garlic.
- Clean the tomatoes and beat them in the blender to make a sauce.
- Once the onions have picked a nice golden color, add the tomatoes and stir quickly.
- Moderate the heat and add the herbs, zest, honey, salt and pepper.
- Add eggplants and mix.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Then add the eggs and cover the egg white with the sauce leaving the yolk uncovered.
- Crumble the feta cheese over the pan and serve.