This recipe is not mine. Is my mothers recipe. A recipe that she has been doing for all my life since I was a little kid. So this is the flavor of Easter that I grew up to! To be honest I haven’t tried it yet myself… out of respect I guess! She made it, send it over to me and I took the pictures to share it with you.
For 80 cookies
- 500 g. buttermilk
- 500 g. granulated sugar
- zest from 3 oranges
- 2 vanillas
- 1/4 teaspoon mastic (beaten)
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 eggs
- 120 g. fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1.350 g. flour for all uses
- 10 g. baking powder
For egg solution
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- All ingredients must be at room temperature.
- Sift flour and baking powder.
- With a mixer beat buttermilk and sugar for 6-7 minutes until batter is smooth and creamy.
- Add orange zest, vanillas, mastic and salt.
- One by one beat eggs and mix well.
- Dissolve baking soda in juice and add them in the bater.
- Add flour and baking powder.
- From the moment we add flour in the batter we don't need a lot becase our cookies will be hard.
- Dough should be pliable and fluffy.
- Cover the dough for 20 minutes.
- Preheat over to 160°C.
- Shape into braids.
- Put them on baking sheet.
- In a bowl beat together all the ingredients of the solution.
- Spread cookies with the egg solution.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Take cookies out of the oven and let the cool.