I started filming a video for my Christmas halva when Doretta -yes, Doretta the beautiful, Mrs Papadimitriou- started bothering me! You see, my dear friends, readers, followers et cetera et cetera, she’s looking for her pots, pans and cake tins! There she goes, at Christmas time, the only time of the year she has to cook, thinking I am the one that stole them from her! No, I did not and I am sure that it wasn’t you who steal her Pal pots! So, go to palcontest.gr, make an official statement that the Pals you own are yours and you may win the whole Granite line of Pal!
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ of cup honey
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups semolina
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- 150 g boiled chestnut
- 150 g pine nuts
- 150 g cranberries
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- Bring to boil the water, the sugar, the honey and the herbs and boil for 2-3 minutes.
- In a large pot, put the oil and allow to heat.
- Gradually add the semolina, combining the mixture with a ladle.
- Add the chestnuts, the pine nuts and the cranberries and keep on combining the mixture, taking care not to have it burnt.
- When semolina has turned dark golden brown, remove the pot from the heat.
- Add the syrup and combine until absorbed.
- Transfer halva to a cake pan and allow 1-3 hours to set.
- Unmold from the pan before serving.