The humble cauliflower gives body and taste to one of the most delicious soups of winter! Rich in nutritional value, it protects you from colds and gives you the energy you need on demanding days.
- Mushroom veloute soup recipe
- Detox cucucmber, avocado and lime veloute soup
- Curry and coconut milk veloute soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 big sweet potato
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into bunches
- 1 potato
- 1 big onion, cut into large cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, cut into thick slices
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- Tabasco (as much as you want)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk (or cream if you want fuller flavor)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oil in medium to high heat in a large, deep pan.
- Add the cauliflower and then the onion.
- Sauté until the vegetables begin to brown, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to low and add butter, sugar and garlic.
- Continue cooking until the vegetables are caramelized, for another 10 minutes.
- Add ginger, tabasco, lemon (zest and juice) and cayenne pepper.
- Continue to saute for another minute.
- Then add broth, let simmer at moderate temperature for about 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blenter, make a puree.
- Add the milk (or cream), and simmer until it thickens.
- Try and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with a pesto of sun-dried tomatoes.