My favorite recipe for carrot cake has change! Orange got a leading role, the cake became a sponge cake and gotdressed with a brilliant chocolate mousse – with only 3 ingredients!
IngredientsFor thw cake (2 sponges)
- 4 eggs
- 225 gr granulated sugar
- 300 gr sunflower oil
- 500 gr carrot, grated
- zest from 3 oranges
- 300 gr flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 full teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 vanilla
- 200 gr walnuts, chopped
- 600 gr heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons cocoa sifted
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
InstructionsFor the sponge cake:
- Beat the eggs and sugar with the wire in the mixer until they whiten and fluffy.
- Add the sunflower oil and continue whisking for 2 more minutes.
- Stop the mixer, add the grated carrot, orange zest, flour, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Gently mix with a silicon spatula and finally add the nuts.
- Butter and sprinkle with flour 2 cake pans, add the mixture and bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for 45-50 minutes.
- Let it come to room temperature and remove from the pans.
- Put the cream in the mixer bin and beat it until fluffy.
- Then add the sugar and cocoa to the mixer and continue whisking until homogenized.
- Transfer the mousse to the fridge and leave it for at least 30 minutes to tighten.
- Let the sponges cool completely.
- Cover the top of the first sponge with the 1/4 of the mixture.
- Then put the second sponge cake on top as a lid and cover all sides with chocolate mousse.
- Decorate with cherries, grated chocolate or grated biscuit (optional).