This is a much different cake recipe from the ones you have been used to. Its fine “Mediterranean” dough contains olive oil from Mytilene, yoghurt, grapefruit juice and zest and chocolate drops. It is garnished with a super simple icing made of just 2 ingredients, powdered sugar and grapefruit juice. For sure, it’s the perfect cake to begin the spring season.
TIP: When it comes to confectionary, I use olive oil only from Mytilene, not only because it has a more light feeling, but also more smooth flavours. So, it does not make my desserts heavy and it gives them a more fine flavour.
- 150 ml olive oil from Mytilene
- 30 ml red grapefruit juice
- 3 eggs
- 150 g yoghurt
- Zest of 2 grapefruits
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 175 g granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 200 g chocolate drops
- 150 g powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons red grapefruit juice
- Preheat convection oven to 180°C.
- Place in a large bowl the olive oil, the juice, the eggs, the yoghurt and the zest.
- Using an eggwhisk, stir together all these ingredients until evenly distributed. If you want your cake to rise properly, it’s best not to use a hand mixer.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and, using a rubber spatula, fold the mixture until all ingredients are evenly distributed and then put the dough inside a greased and floured round 10x25 cm cake tin.
- Bake the cake for 50 minutes.
- It’s better to cover the cake with foil during the first 20-30 minutes of baking. This will aid in its even baking, from heart to surface, no matter if your oven is not always baking everything right.
- Sift the powdered sugar to remove any lumps that have been created by moisture.
- Then add the grapefruit juice and stir properly.
- Garnish the top of the cold cake.