Today’s cake may seem complicated with all these ingrediens and the instructions, but the truth is it’s a very simple and classic recipe, that combines an easy – peasy sponge cake with the long-time favorite cream patisserie.
We make the cream richer with pomegranate juice, to add a more impressive color, but also because there are plenty this time of year.
IngredientsFor sponge cake:
- 250 gr sugar
- 300 gr flour
- 10 eggs
- 50 gr sugar
- 150 gr water
- 50 gr strawberry liqueur
- 1 liter milk (3.5% fat)
- 100 gr. corn flour
- 6 yolks
- 270 gr. sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 gr. butter
- 1 liter heavy cream (whipped)
- 80 ml pomegranate juice
- In a pot we put 700 ml of the milk and the vanilla.
- We add all the sugar but we do not mix. Bring the eye to moderate heat and heat the mixture until it start to boil.
- In a bowl, we add the corn flour and the egg yolks, along with the remaining 300 gr of the milk and continue to whisk to prevent it from lumping.
- When the milk is boiled, we remove it from the heat and add the corn flour mixture. With thw whisk we mix very well all the time and then we return the pot to the heat. We stir well at all times until it cools down. The secret is that we try to "roast" the cream because the corn flour must be cooked to "neutralize" its taste. This may take ten minutes cooking at very low heat and constant stirring.
- Finally, we remove from the heat and add the butter while stirring until it melts.
- We transfer thw cream in a pan, with a membrane covering the top, to make sure it wont create a crust and let it rest in the fridge.
- Once it's cool, we add the whipped cream and fold with a maryse spatule.
- We saparate thw cream to three parts and add the pomegranate juice to the 1/3, stirring until we have a homogeneous pink color.
- It is ready for use.
- We beat the eggs and the sugar in mixer until the mixture gets fluffy, a process that takes at least 10 minutes, depending on the mixer.
- We sift the flour and add it slowly to the whipped eggs, gently stirring with a maryse spatula.
- We divide the mixture into three equal parts and place them in buttered and floured round pans (diam. 24 cm.)
- In a preheated oven we bake at 170 ° C for 20 minutes
- We boil the sugar with water for 2 minutes.
- After it has cool down we add the strawberry liqueur.
- We place the first layer of the sponge cake on the base.
- Sprinkle with the syrup and spread over 1/2 of the white whipped cream.
- We are adding the second layer of the sponge cake, and soak it up with the syrup. It's time to cover it with the pink whipped cream.
- We add the third layer of the cake and soak with syrup.
- And finally we cover the whole cake with the rest of the whipped cream.