Today’s recipe is bringing a whole new direction to the cannelloni world giving them a vertical direction. Baked in a pot filled with the most tasty Bolognese Sause you have tried and the most rich cheese sauce!
I tried this new method of cooking that makes it a lot easier to fill them up and the outcome is really delicious.
You may also read:
- PASTA WITH BROCCOLI, BOLOGNESE SAUCE AND GREEK YOGURT CRUST
- ONE PAN PASTA RECIPE
- AVOCADO CARBONARA PASTA RECIPE
IngredientsFor the bolognese sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 smoked bacon slices, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2-3 sprigs rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 500 gr beef mince
- 800 gr tomatoes, chopped
- 10 basil leaves picked, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 125 ml red wine
- 10 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 onion, cubed
- 300 gr mushrooms
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 1/2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 250 gr gruyere cheese
- 200 gr parmesan cheese, freshly crushed
- 100 ml cream fresh
- 1 cannelloni pack
InstructionsFor the Bolognese sauce:
- Put a large saucepan on a medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the bacon and fry for a few minutes until golden and crisp.
- Reduce the heat and add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and rosemary, then fry for 10 mins. Stir the vegetables often until it softens.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, add the mince and cook stirring for 3-4 minutes until the meat is browned all over.
- Add the wine and stir until all the alcohol evaporates.
- Add the tomatoes, chopped basil, oregano, bay leaves, chili and cherry tomatoes. Stir with a wooden spoon, breaking up the tomatoes.
- Bring to boil, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 1 hour 15 minutes stirring occasionally, until you have a rich, thick sauce.
- Check the seasoning and stir.
- Saute the onion cubes in a pan until brown.
- Add the garlic, leeks and the mushrooms and let them evaporate all their liquids.
- Reduce the heat and add all the cheese and cream fresh.
- Add the spices and herbs and stir well until you have a nice sauce
- Arrange all cannelloni in the pan as in the picture.
- Fill them up to half with the bolognese sauce.
- Fill them up with the cheese sauce and cover the pot with some foil.
- Bake them in preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes at 180°C