Beluga lentils got their name from their resemblance to beluga caviar: jet black colour and round shape. In this exotic recipe, they are combined with a bunch of spices, coconut cream and spinach.
- 1 onion, cut into cubes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 5 g (the size of a dice) ginger, coarsely ground
- 200 g beluga lentils (cooked for 20 minutes)
- 1 tablespoon curry
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground red hot chili pepper (or chili flakes)
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 300 g spinach
- A bit of salt
- ½ lemon
- Extra virgin oil for the frying
- Place the onion, the garlic and the ginger into a blender and blend until all three ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Add a teaspoon of olive to a pan and heat it up over medium heat.
- Add the curry, the cumin, the turmeric and the ground red hot chili pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion mix and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream and the lentils and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and squeeze on top of it the lemon, then add the spinach.
- Keep on cooking until the spinach has wilted.
- Optionally, serve with rice.