Today’s recipe is a super sweet – savory chutney made with apple and bacon! It combines fruity flavors, but bacon gives it the character it needs to get into the festive brunch.
- 170 ml apple cider vinegar
- 200 gr. brown sugar
- 80 gr. smoked bacon, diced
- 120 ml apple cider
- 3 green apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 60 ml fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- zest from 3 oranges
- zest from 2 lemons
- pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, combine the vinegar, cider and brown sugar.
- Cook over high heat until bubbly, stir the first 30 seconds to dissolve sugar.
- Turn down heat to medium and continue to cook for 15 minutes.
- In a small skillet, cook the diced bacon over medium heat until half cookes. Drain bacon.
- Add bacon, apples, balsamic vinegar, zest, pepper and orange juice to the vinegar mixture.
- Bring back to a boil and cook for 30 minutes more.
- Serve warm over waffles or pancakes, or on sandwiches.