Today I cook a savoury baked cheesecake, getting inspiration from the baked New York cheesecake and stealing some elements from the freshness of the Greek salad.
For the crusty bottom I use dakos rusk (kritharokoulouro), while for the filling I use baked cherry tomatoes, feta cheese and cream cheese. When it’s baked, instead of coating it with jam, top it with thinly sliced fresh vegetables like zucchini, cherry tomatoes or whatever else you want.
IngredientsFor the crusty bottom
- 300 g dakos rusk (kritharokoulouro)
- 100 g butter
- 400 g cherry tomatoes (optionally: multicolored)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 200 g dairy cream 35%
- 200 g grated metsovone cheese
- 400 g spicy feta cheese, coarsely cut
- 4 eggs
- 600 g cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 2 tablespoons of thyme
- 400 g feta cheese
InstructionsFor the crusty bottom
- Add the dakos rusks to a blender and blend until powdered.
- Melt the butter inside a bain-marie or by using the microwave oven.
- Add the powdered dakos rusk and stir with a spatula.
- Put the mixture inside a springform pan of 24 cm diameter and spread it on its bottom.
- Press it down with the bottom of a jar or a glass until it has been evenly distributed.
- Transfer to the fridge to set for 20 minutes.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes into halves.
- Bring to a heat a non-stick pan over medium to high heat.
- Add the olive oil, the cherry tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Simmer until the cherry tomatoes have shrunk half in size.
- Then remove from the heat and allow some time to cool down.
- When they have cooled down, sieve them properly.
- Whisk with a hand mixer over medium power for 5 minutes the dairy cream, the metsovone cheese, the feta cheese, the eggs, the cream cheese and the flour.
- Remove the hand mixer from the bowl and add the sieved cherry tomatoes and the thyme.
- Stir properly with a spatula.
- Transfer the mixture to a pan and bake for 90 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it reach room temperature for at least one hour before you remove the cheesecake from the pan.
- Top it with thinly sliced vegetables of your choice.