Turkey is a sine qua non of the festive meal! Though, it has not to be always a main dish; it may be served as stuffing of a pie for starter or a buffet!
Today I prepare the meal of the New Year’s Day by baking a pie with thin filo pastry sheets and leek and turkey stuffing!
- 12 thin filo pastry sheets
- 1 turkey fillet (≈300 g)
- 1 onion
- 3 leeks
- 3 spring onions
- 3 tablespoons thinly cut herbs (oregano, spearmint, basil)
- 250 g feta cheese
- 250 g kefalotyri cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- Freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil for the pastry sheets and for sautéing
- Cut the onion into small cubes and the leeks and the spring onions into thin slices.
- Cut the turkey into cubes with a width of approximately 2.5-3 cm.
- Bring to heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil inside a large non-stick frying pan.
- Sauté the onion and then add the turkey.
- Continue by sautéing the leeks and the spring onions.
- Sauté until the vegetables have withered and they have become dry, while the turkey has taken roasted colour at all sides.
- Then, remove from the pan and put them inside a large bowl.
- Add the grated cheeses, the eggs, the herbs, the paprika, salt and pepper and mix all ingredients together.
- Grease properly a baking pan.
- On the bottom of the pan place 2 thin filo pastry sheets crosswise and grease them properly with olive oil.
- On top of them, add 3-4 tablespoons from the turkey mix and then place 1 thin filo pastry sheet on top of the mix.
- Using a pastry brush, grease the thin filo pastry sheet and repeat the procedure until you are done with all of the thin filo pastry sheets and the turkey mix.
- Gently score the top surface of the pie, taking care so the knife does not reach the bottom of the pan. This will result in crispy and well-baked thin filo pastry sheets.
- Bake in properly preheated oven to 180°C for 45 minutes or until it has taken a golden brown colour.